27 April 2007

Markers of the Nederlands spirit

With the hopscotch posting and now this one, maybe it seems I'm looking at the ground excessively, but Koninginnedag is coming, which means that sidewalk space is where it's at. While most people just write "BEZET" ("taken") on the ground with chalk to claim the spots where they will sell random articles on the 30th of April, others get fancy with their place markers. This one here, seen along Leidsestraat, I find humorously creative. Done with white tape, it says "Hier woon ik! . . . Mark, 16 jaar" (literally, "I live here ! . . . Mark, age 16"). That says it all.

Aside from these sidewalk occurences, orange items are multiplying everywhere. I was surprised to see that there are even special, orange-packaged Nederland Pringles for a limited time. My favorite orange spirit-shower so far, though, was in the market today. At the stand where I always buy vegetables, there were orange bell peppers being sold as "30th April" peppers. These people definitely are in the spirit!

No comments: